Unlike some of the other maintenance tasks you need to do around your home, there isn’t a defined schedule for when you need to clean out your air ducts. Instead, you need to take a look at them and then see when they seem to be getting dirty. According to the EPA, you should only clean out the air ducts when they need it.
There are a few signs to look for when deciding whether or not to clean your air ducts. This may include things like:
- Visible dirt or mold inside the system when you inspect it.
- Insects or rodents inside the system
- When your allergies tend to get bad
You may want to add an inspection for your air ducts onto your schedule. This ensures that you do not have to wait too long to get the system checked and then if you see some of the signs above, it is time to make some adjustments and clean out the ducts.When it is time to clean out the air ducts, trust our team at the Duct Kings of Dallas to come in and help.
When Do Air Ducts Need Cleaned?
There are a few different conditions to look for when it comes to cleaning your air ducts or not. Some of these will include the issues that we talked about above, like visible dirt inside the system or lots of dust that is making your allergies worse than before. There are also some secondary conditions to consider include:
- You have smokers in the house that can add more strain to the air ducts.
- Pets in the home that have dander or shed their hair often.
- If water is able to get into the air ducts because this can cause mold.
- Damage that occurs to the ducts at any time.
- After you get some recent renovations done on the property, especially drywall work as this can send a ton of particles up and int the air ducts.
What are the Benefits of Cleaning Your Air Ducts?
One of the main benefits of cleaning your air ducts in the home is that it can help remove any mold that may be growing in the ducts and spreading around to other parts of your property. When the air ducts are contaminated, it can turn into a great breeding ground for microbe growth, even when there are some normal conditions and you take good care of the ducts.
Toxigenic mold can be very hazardous to you and others who live in the property. Whenever your system pushes air through the ductwork, the mold will be able to blow around and grow in many areas of the home as well.
If there is a chance of water entering into the ductwork and you do not clean up that moisture as soon as possible, the mold and mildew can grow because it is a great place for the mold to grow. This is why it is a good idea to get a professional in there to clean up the ducts if you have a major renovation or you worry that some water has gone into the system.
Should I Clean the Air Ducts on My Own or with a Professional?
One of the decisions that you need to make here is whether to do the duct cleaning on your own or if you would like to hire professionals to come in and do the work. First, we can take a look at doing some of the work on your own. Some issues here includes:
- It is hard to clean the whole system when you do it on your own. You will not want to tear it all apart and you will not have the tools to get deep down. This means only the supply ducts and the end sections will get cleaned.
- When you do the work yourself, the debris is usually just moved towards the vents, meaning that you will have it come right into your home.
- The debris in the ductwork may be partially removed in the process, which can be confusing to put back together.
- It is less expensive and may work for a quick clean. For DIY methods, you can often get it done for $50 to $100.
Most homeowners who decide to do ductwork cleaning will choose to hire some of the professionals to come do it. These professionals have their own tools to handle the work, can get deep into the ducts, and will help make your home healthier and safer. When you choose to hire the professionals to do duct cleaning includes:
- You will be able to get the entire ductwork clean, rather than just the edges.
- The debris will not move to the vents. Instead, it will get moved over to the HVAC unit instead.
- The debris that is found inside of the system will be removed, so you won’t have to deal with it for a long time.
- The cost for getting this done is a bit more than the DIY method, but usually still affordable. It can cost between $450 to $1000 depending on the size of the system.
Overall, it is usually a good idea to work with the professionals to get the work done. They have the tools to get it done and can get much more of the area cleaned compared to what you are able to do on your own. You don’t have to get it done all the time, but when you want to get it done, you want to do it the right way.
Your air ducts are an important part of your home and you need to take the best care of them possible. Ignoring the air ducts can lead to disaster down the line and will ruin your hard work and clean home. When it is time to clean out the air ducts, trust our team at the Duct Kings of Dallas to come in and help. Whether you have never cleaned your air ducts in the past or it has been some time since you got this work done, our team of professionals will be there to answer your questions and get the air ducts cleaned as quickly as possible. Trust us for all of your air duct cleaning needs.