Did you know that carpenter ants are capable of damaging your wood furniture? Yes, you read it correctly. Just like termites and any other wood-destroying insects, carpenter ants can also cause unexpected damage.
As they are extremely small in size, it is not easy to observe the damage they might cause. In fact, they don’t chew on the outside of the wood. Instead, they chew on the inside, creating a tunnel beneath the surface, and thus making it impossible to see the damage caused.
Therefore, it is essential to get rid of them. But before that, you need to understand the signs of carpenter ant infestation.
So, let’s begin!
Signs Your House Might Have Carpenter Ants
- You might find them near the wooden furniture, especially the doors and windows. Carpenter ants are usually larger than the other ant species. The size range varies from one-quarter to three-quarters of an inch. Apart from this, these are black, red, or a combination of both colors. This makes it easy to locate them.
- Although they are “silent destroyers,” you might observe the sawdust or fragments falling through cracks or near door jambs, baseboards, and window sills.
- Old furniture or badly damaged wood might also have small openings like windows.
- You might also hear faint rustling noises coming from your walls or inside any wooden structure. It is because they create their nests inside the furniture and make noise while scraping the wood.
- Dropped or shed wings of “swarmer” ants.
Where Can You Find Them?
Generally, 9 types of carpenter ants are found in the U.S. These pests are commonly located in cool and damp areas, near wood surfaces.
They usually build their nests near or in wood sources such as tree stumps, firewood, landscaping, etc. And indoors, you can locate them in door frames, chimneys, bathtubs, sinks, crawl spaces, or any other dark and damp place.
Besides that, they enter the house through cracks and holes around the doors and windows. They can also crawl along with the shrubs, wire, or tree limbs that might touch your home.
Therefore, you should keenly observe these areas to see the signs of infestation.
How To Protect Your House?
They might be inferior in size, but they can destroy your valuable wooden items. That’s why the best way to get rid of them is to get an ant pest control service. The professionals will ensure that your home stays safe. Moreover, they can also help prevent any other infestation. So, you must contact them on a regular basis.
Preventive Measures You Must Take
- Remove any standing water near your property.
- Regularly trim the tree branches.
- Dehumidify crawl space, basement, and attics.
- Keep firewood at least 20 feet away from home and 5 feet higher.
- Periodically inspect your wooden furniture for any signs of infestation.
To Sum It All Up!
It is essential to keep your property protected from every kind of damage. So, pay attention to the signs mentioned above and contact the pest control company immediately. It will ensure that you, as well as your house’s structure, stays safe.