California is the most populated state in the US with a population of almost 40 million. High demand for property and land results in low supply. For this reason, the price of houses increases.
California is a large state, so it is possible that two houses of the same size and same shape have different prices in different areas. The prices of different houses depend on the type of area they are situated in.
The average range of costs for building a house in California lies between $194,500 and $580,500. So, on average, a house in California costs around $387,500. This price can also increase to $1,035,500 depending on the location, size, shape, and style of your house.
Hence, the highest cost for a house that one can pay is $1,035,500, while the lowest price that one has to pay no matter what is $104,000.
Labor costs, including that of the construction manager and the other teams for different jobs, ask for a large amount of money. If you are based in New York you can contact construction estimating services NYC for detailed and accurate estimates.
- The construction manager usually asks for an average of 10% of the whole project cost.
- Electricians charge 50 to 100 dollars per hour for the installation of electrical wires and other work.
- House framing costs 7 to 20 dollars per square foot.
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) installation costs up to $500 to $2,500 in total.
- The plumber charges 45 to 200 dollars per hour.
- Paving a driveway costs 5 to 10 dollars per square foot.
- Landscape maintenance costs you 3,000 to 15,000 dollars in total.
- Roof installer takes 5 thousand to 10 thousand dollars out of your budget.
The quality of your house depends on the materials. If you spend more on materials, your house will be more beautiful and worthy of living in. Mostly, 50% of the total cost is spent on materials. However, it may vary depending on the size of your house.
- Lumber used for framing costs 3 to 6 dollars per square foot.
- Siding, usually known as wooden or metal coverings for walls outside of your house, costs $2-$50 per square foot.
- Pipes for plumbing cost 5 to 7 dollars per square foot.
- Concrete costs $388 – $650 per cubic yard.
- Electrical wires cost 6 to 10 dollars per linear foot.
- Drywall costs $0.50 – $1 per square foot.
- Roof material costs 1 to 20 dollars per square foot, varying according to the size of the roof.
- Material for floors costs $9 – $32 per square foot.
- Insulation material costs $0.20 – $2 per square foot.
Types Of Houses
It will definitely cost you more money if you want your house to be luxurious. On the other hand, simple and average standard houses can save you money. The costs for different categories of houses are as follows:
- The minimum standard home costs only $85 per square foot.
- The average standard house costs $105 per square foot.
- Good standard houses cost $165 per square foot.
- The best standard house costs $175 per square foot.
- Semi-luxury houses cost $270 per square foot.
- Luxury houses cost $445 per square foot.
Other Cost Factors
California is the third-largest state in the US. Rates of land in California are pretty high. Buying a plot can cost you $50,000 to even $1 million. So, while going to buy land, have an average of $150,000 in your possession.
Exterior and Interior Finishings
After building a house, everyone wants to adjust it and adore it to their liking. For this purpose, they need money. These finishings include appliances, windows, fireplace installation, interior and exterior painting, pools, etc. A minimum amount of $260,000 is required for all these purposes.
Houses in California are provided with solar panels, which are unavoidable. The average cost of solar panels is $8,500. These solar panels help you reduce your monthly electricity bill by producing electricity through solar energy.
The Average Cost In Different Cities
As mentioned earlier, home prices in California vary from place to place. Just like that, different cities have different costs for houses.
- San Francisco houses cost an average of $487,500, which is the most expensive among other cities.
- Houses in San Diego cost an average of $383,500.
- Building a house in Redding will cost you an average of $341,000.
- Pasadena houses cost $387,500 on average.
- Houses in Los Angeles cost an average of $383,500.
- Long Beach houses cost $387,500 on average.
- Building a house in Irvine will cost you almost $403,000.
- Fresno houses cost $345,000.
- Houses in Eureka cost about $380,000.
- Bakersfield has an average rate of $360,500 for houses.
Cost Estimation For Your House
All the above-mentioned costs are average calculated amounts. If you are a working homeowner, then you probably can’t manage to estimate all the costs required for building your house. You don’t know the prices of materials in the market. For this purpose, you should contact cost estimating and construction takeoff service. These services provide you with accurate cost estimates for your home according to your budget. Moreover, they also provide material takeoff services. So, instead of juggling between work and building a house, leave your house with reliable cost estimating services.